Sunday, July 22, 2018

The Final Word on Christians and Tattoos


Just kidding. The headline is a hook, a shameless piece of click-bait. Honestly, I have no idea what the final word on tattoos and Christians ought to be, but I am intrigued by the debate. In a church I served for many years, a high-school Sunday School class would hear from a teacher, “Tattoos are forbidden for a Christian,” only to come up upstairs and be compelled to interact with a couple of fellows whose arms were covered with them.

The debate springs from the Hebraic law, specifically, Leviticus 19:28:

“… You shall not make any cuts on your body or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD.”

I have read the thoughts of many as to whether or not the marks left on the body referenced in this verse were really tattooing as we know it, since the word “tattoo” did not exist until much later. For that reason, one could argue whether the word “tattoo” is even a good rendering of the original Hebrew. Of course, that argument could apply to any translation of any ancient text on any given topic into any newer language. In any event, it seems that driving home some definitive conclusion by pursuing a linguistic and/or legalistic argument would be a lot of trouble and convince no one on either side of the discussion of anything.

On the other hand, it appears that God might have some tattoos, anthropomorphically speaking:

Can a woman forget her nursing child,
            That she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget
            Yet I will not forget you.
Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands ... - Isaiah 49:15, 17

I process the matter best by thinking about similarly cryptic Hebraic laws that get much less attention than the tattoo ordinance. The ceremonial law of temple and sacrifice was fulfilled by Jesus, securing our redemption. Moral law was perfectly observed by Jesus, which means He accomplished a righteousness that can be imputed to believers. (That does not mean that the definition of morality changed.) But, there are many other laws that protected the Hebrew community in terms of health, law and order, and especially, uniqueness among the nations of the world. These, like food laws, were for national Israel and were never imposed on Christians in the church age.

Were such laws still in force, one could argue that wearing blended fabrics is forbidden to us today (Leviticus 19:19). Working a garden with multiple vegetables planted in it might be condemned (Leviticus 19:19). Goatees could be a no-no (Leviticus 19:27). And, cooking a kid goat in its mother’s milk (Exodus 23:19) … well, let’s just say that is one thrill that has never really captivated me.

It is likely that some of these laws were given to God’s people because of pagan superstitions and practices that existed among the nations surrounding Israel. In some cases, the restrictions may have simply meant, “Do not practice these things because your neighbors do practice them.” God wanted His people to be unique among the nations of the world.

My best counsel to a believer on the matter of getting a tattoo, piercing, etc., is to ask himself or herself a question that every believer should probably ask of oneself much more often than any of us do, and on many more occasions than any of us do … “Why?” And, I’m not suggesting that I or anyone other than God Himself needs to approve of your answer to that question. It is the discipline of thinking about our actions and desires that is of value. To consider one’s actions against the backdrop of our heavenly Father is NEVER a bad idea.

A tattoo might commemorate a deceased loved one. You would never hear a peep out of me. It might be an expression of unity and unwavering commitment between a husband and a wife. I would never pop-off about something like that. (In fact, a tattoo with a spouse’s name, might provide added incentive to work through hard times together. I understand that ink is harder to remove than a ring.)

On the other hand, if a child wants to get a tattoo or a piercing in direct defiance of a parent, I would feel quite comfortable saying, “That is a horrible reason, and one of which God would never approve.” Someone might be flirting with inscribing something occultic or obscene into his or her flesh. I would actively try to dissuade a believer from doing such a thing. Someone might consider tattoos as artistic expression. I might ask, “Have you ever considered needlepoint or digital photography as an alternative form of expression?” but I would not press the issue. I am not the arbiter in the matter and do not care to be. Someone says, “Everyone gets them these days. It’s no big deal. One in five American adults have one.” That argument sounds like one might be taking his lead from the world or from peers. I would be comfortable observing that such an argument seems to be approaching the context of the strange laws cited in an earlier paragraph. We do not want to do anything simply because the world or our peers pressure us.

Perhaps, you have already detected that I am not really speaking to the issue of tattoos so much as I am speaking to the issue of thinking through how we are exercising our liberty in Christ. I reiterate, and I cannot emphasize it enough; I could not care less what a person decides to do in “most” of these tattoo considerations. If I could just persuade all of us to pause a little more often and ask ourselves, “Why am I doing this?” whatever “this” is, then, I’d be satisfied. The notion of “thinking through” my use of liberty is a useful reminder to myself and not horrible piece of advice for any believer in any circumstance.

1 comment: