Monday, January 1, 2018

What's Wrong with You People?

I don’t move in the same circles I once did. About a week had passed before I learned that author, pastor-teacher, theologian and my second-favorite Calvinist, R. C. Sproul had graduated to his eternal reward on December 14. In the meantime, a friend had posted a video of him on Facebook. Perhaps, it was a tribute, and I did not catch it. The post did not generate much response, but I liked it and re-posted it. Again, it did not generate much response.

In the video, Dr. Sproul was seated on a stage at some conference for a question-answer session. A query was raised to this effect: “Since God is gracious, why was His punishment of Adam so severe?” The question seemed to vex Sproul. After a fervent reminder to the audience of the holiness of God, the “creatureliness” of Adam, and the terms of the Eden arrangement, he asked, “What’s wrong with you people?” He added that the problem with the modern church is that we don’t understand Who God is and we don’t understand who we are. Through the years, Sproul has written prolifically on a number of topics, but some of his greatest contributions have touched on the Person of God and, in particular, His holy “otherliness.” In retrospect, I wondered if his impassioned response to what he perceived to be an idiotic question was a desperate plea to the modern church to finally start to wrap our collective heads around the holiness of God.

A few decades ago, the church went through a kind of grace awakening. In reaction to the sternness and perceived legalism of a previous generation, we came to grips with how loving, longsuffering and “nice” God really is. But, as we are often prone to do, our fixation on certain aspects of God’s character tend to undermine our appreciation for some of His other attributes. We are currently abiding in nothing short of a crisis regarding the typical believer’s lack of awe at God’s holiness.

What else can explain why so many believers are reticent to declare as “sinful” behaviors and lifestyles to which God has spoken from ancient times? Are we more fearful of the world calling us names than we are of God’s holy nature? Why are so few today grievously undone by their own sins? With open eyes, they do as they please, sure that grace will cover them. Why is worship discussed in terms of human tastes and relevance rather than in terms of honoring the Holy One Who is the sole audience of our worship? I remain a bit old-school in my worship attire, even to the point of being good-naturedly teased on occasion. I abide six days in my Father’s presence wearing work clothes, comfortable clothes and even jammies. I would not show up to an event specifically convened to honor my earthly father in such attire. I would not attend an audience with a royal or a president in such attire, regardless of party affiliation. I would not show up in court before a robed human judge that way. A worship service is not my daily abiding in God’s presence. It is a special event held in His honor.

Whatever we think we understand about worship …

Whatever we think we understand about service …

Whatever we think we understand about grace …

Whatever we think we understand about stewardship …

Our understanding of anything pertaining to God is significantly diminished and diluted when we fail to be adequately captivated by His holiness. I choose my words carefully. I am not suggesting that we can grasp or understand this holiness, only that we must stand in awe of it.


The Bible speaks of a “fear” of God. We avoid that word. We redefine it as “awe” or “reverence” because nobody wants to fear One Who has been refashioned into our benign and indulgent “Daddy.”

We tend to misunderstand the purpose of all our human emotions; love peace contentment, anger. We confuse the fallen versions of each of these with the real thing. Holy fear may top the list, for there is little modern fear of God. However, only as this posture before God is restored will the church make any significant progress toward fulfilling her role as salt and light for this age.

2 comments:

  1. One of my 2018 intentions is to comment more on these blogs which I have enjoyed so much in 2017 to encourage you to keep on writing. I believe I did that when you first brought up the idea of a blog. I have missed your writing and your preaching. It only seemed fitting to comment on this your first blog post of 2018. I agree wholeheartedly! Now to the secondary reason for commenting and that is to discover who is your favorite Calvinist? It wouldn't disappoint me if I came in after RC, but I feel like the veiled reference to a favorite Calvinist demanded to at least ask, who is your favorite Calvinist? Don't tell me you went out and found another Calvinist friend? I thought I was the one and only!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just seeing if you were paying attention. You jumped RC when it dawned on me that I don"t actually know him.

    ReplyDelete