Monday, November 6, 2017

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum"

You may recognize this postulate credited to Aristotle. It is generally accepted in science though some debate occurs. Jesus seemed to endorse the idea in the spiritual realm (see Luke 11:24-26). I suspect that it applies to society as well.

But, bear with me. We'll get back to that.

A few weeks ago, a female reporter asked quarterback Cam Newton a question that suggested a somewhat sophisticated knowledge of wide receiver routes and techniques. It took Newton by surprise and he responded, "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes like ... it's funny." From the media reaction, this was apparently the most egregious, condescending and sexist assault on women in the workplace year-to date.

Newton continues to insist that his reaction was complimentary. As awkward as his words were, I can process how they could have been generated by a sense of being impressed. But, the talking heads on the sports shows, those who read the minds and know the hearts of athletes say, "No, it was an insult," so that's the narrative we're stuck with. The following week, as Newton was muddling through his requisite penance, he showed up with a "Rosie the Riveter" pin on his hat to let the world know that he understood the contribution of women to the war effort during World War II. This act of penitence appeared more clumsy than the original sin.

Some of those same talking heads like to tell us that the NFL is a cross-section of America. I always found that sentiment a bit odd considering that the league tends to have more multi-millionaires per capita than the block where I live. But, now I must reconsider. In a culture that seems to be losing its collective mind, the NFL may very well be representative.

Like most of my acquaintances, I struggle mightily with this current culture of political correctness as well as with the speech police who monitor it. I sincerely wish it would go away. So, I am probably being wildly optimistic when I detect evidences that the PC culture may be losing ground. People seem to be ignoring it, even belittling it on social media. I suspect that our current president's aversion to political correctness had much more to do with his election than his adversaries would care to admit.

So, let us assume that my instincts are right; that political correctness has overplayed its hand and is on the decline. What's next? Back to Aristotle: "Nature abhors a vacuum." I do not foresee the vacuum being filled with decorum and thoughtful arguments. I can only anticipate elevated vitriol from all sides.

You have already noticed that very little of the dissent against the PC crowd is thoughtful and measured. On the contrary, it can be quite fierce. For the lack of a better word, the resistance puts the "fun" back into matters of sexism, racism and the like. I don't have the time to count the memes that appear daily on my Face Book feed that serve very little purpose than either "to preach to the choir" or "to tweak the leftists." Don't get me wrong. I am not exempt from getting caught up in it. Some are hilarious. But, others are angry and still others are quite coarse.

Strange, but when I see the memes and the articles from the other side of the political spectrum, my reaction is that they are unoriginal and lazy ways of saying, "Gotcha!" by people who cannot express themselves. They just aggravate me. Suddenly, I had an epiphany. If left-wing memes and forwarded articles do nothing but annoy me, it is highly likely that right-wing memes and forwarded articles do nothing but annoy left-wingers. Allies within their respective camps may exchange a digital "thumbs-up" or a "high-five," but no one from the other side is persuaded of anything new -  or is even inspired to think.

My concern is the role of God's people in all of this. Ultimately, we do not abide on the right or left fringe of a political ideology. Our call is to seek and to advance a kingdom that is not of this world. We will be utterly impotent in that endeavor if we engage our culture using the methodologies of the age.

It is not easy to reflect Christ in such a torn and divided world. On the contrary, it is very hard. We have the burden of being clear and uncompromising in matters of morality and societal rot without being flippant or mean-spirited. If the only tool in our toolbox is to comfort ourselves, amuse ourselves, work ourselves up, or play "gotcha" by forwarding memes and articles on social media, then, the real battle will be very uphill.


Our speech is to be seasoned with salt, not cayenne pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment